How Ugly Baseboard Heaters Inspired a Whole New Concept
It would seem that baseboard heaters were never designed to be visually appealing. This is why we developed the easy slip-on baseboard heater cover back in 2007. Our company is now the world's largest manufacturer of slip-on baseboard heater covers.
It all began with some old, ugly baseboard heaters and not enough options for nice baseboard heater covers. The owner and founder of Baseboarders®, Jon Bus, found himself with a house full of hydronic baseboard heaters that were an eyesore (yet perfectly functional) and no better options than he currently had.
He wanted a quick solution that would transform plain old baseboard heaters into something of an architectural feature. Painting seemed like a good idea, except it would only buy time before the rust inevitably showed up again. There had to be a better way.
With existing back plates secured directly to the wall studs, it seemed like a good idea to leave those and come up with something that would fit over the top of it. Nice baseboard heater covers would need to
- Have an attractive design that would match and compliment most home décor themes.
- Be heavy duty. From kids walking on them to vacuum cleaners banging into them, the solution had to stand up to abuse over a long period of time without showing it
- Utilize a rust-proof material and finish
- Encourage proper and unobstructed airflow around the heating element
- Cost less than those dummy covers sold at the big box stores. They're cheap to buy but installation can be tedious and ultimately very expensive when a contractor or plumber is hired to do the job
- Offer a super easy do-it-yourself installation
- Fit the vast majority of all hot water baseboard heaters currently in existence
We fabricated a good number of prototypes in our Vancouver sheet metal manufacturing facility during the fall of 2007. To ensure a proper fit on the hundreds of different models of baseboard heaters that are currently in use throughout North America, an extensive amount of research was done to identify geometries from heaters going back all the way to the late 1940's.
By the spring of 2008 we had come up with the one-size-fits-most easy slip-on baseboard heater cover. The product line, complete with every kind of accessory possible, was made commercially available through our website baseboardheatercovers.com.
Manufactured in Canada
We stayed close to home to manufacure our products. Though we might cut costs by going elsewhere, we decided to keep manufacturing local so we could avoid
- Long lead times due to transit time
- Quality control issues
- Prepaying for goods before leaving the country
- Undisclosed materials and/or specifications substitutions in the factory
- Small quantity orders that make testing new products very risky
- An importer holding large inventories
- Language and general communication limitations
Local manufacturing means our company can be highly responsive to our customer's needs. It means we can provide a level of order and product customization in a very short amount of time. It means we can tightly control the quality of the end product.
Our products are more than just nice baseboard heater covers. They are the most flexible baseboard covers on the market and have superior quality as well. Take a closer look today.